Quality of life of patients with chronic kidney disease
Leni Aglaia-Eirini, Tourkogianni Maria, Stavropoulou Areti, Zidianakis Zacharias
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
- Leni Aglaia-Eirini, Nurse Graduate, Technological Educational Institution of Crete
- Tourkogianni Maria, Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing, Technological Educational Institution of Crete
- Stavropoulou Areti, University of West Attica & Quality of Life Lab, Hellenic Mediterranean University
- Zidianakis Zacharias, Assistant Professor, MD, Department of Nursing, Technological Educational Institution of Crete
Introduction: Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a major health problem, worldwide, that is associated with increased morbidity and mortality and has a significant impact on patient’s quality of life.
Aim: The aim of this study was to explore the self-reported quality of life of patients suffering from CKD, undergoing haemodialysis (HD) or peritoneal dialysis (PD) in a public General University Hospital.
Material and Method: The sample-studied consisted of patients with CKD undergoing HD or PD in a public General University Hospital. Data were collected by the completion of a questionnaire based on WHOQOL-BREF Quality of Life research tool. Data analysis was performed using the statistical program Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) v.17.
Results: The sample-studied included 60 patients with CKD, of which 50 (83%) were undergoing HD in the Dialysis Unit and the remaining 10 (17%) undergoing PD in Nephrology clinic. The average period of dialysis was 5.6 years and the mean age of participants was 65.13 years. According to the results, patients' satisfaction by their quality of life was described as "moderate" by 30% of the participants or 'no' satisfactory by 23%. In relation to the need of daily nursing care, 63% reported "no" need for care while 47% reported as "low" the satisfaction by their effectiveness at work. The majority of the participants (67%) reported a "low" level of satisfaction with regard to their sexual life, 48% with regard to their physical health and 30% with regard to sleep. Finally, 37% of patients reported "fairly" satisfied with the treatment being undertaken.
Conclusion: Providing holistic care including all areas of patients' life and their family, as well as communication and support are significant factors for enhancing patients’ quality of life.