Exploration of drug users profile
Nektaria Alexopoulou, Elpida Georgiadi, Maria Polikandrioti, Maria Korkovili, Angeliki Mpaseta, Anna Maina
Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Alexopoulou Nektaria, RN, MSC, Unit of Treatment with Pharmaceutical Substitutes, OKANA Hospital “Agioi Anargyroi”
- Georgiadi Elpida, RN, MSc, Associate Head of Thalassemia Unit, General Hospital of Athens "Laiko"
- Polikandrioti Maria, Assistant Professor,Department of Nursing,Technological Educational Institute of Athens
- Korkovili Maria, Medical laboratory technologist , EOPYY Acharnon
- Mpaseta Angeliki, Head Nurse of Clinical Pathology in General Hospital of Athens "Laiko"
- Maina Anna, Associate of the Department of Sociology of the National School of Public Health, PhD(c) Panteion University, Department of Social Psychology
The aim of this study was to explore the profile of drug users in the Athens and the characteristics of the use ( injecting and syringe sharing ) .
Method and material : Data were collected by the completion of questionnaire by personal interview of184 drug users who came to the Emergency Assistance Unit and Support (MAVY) OKANA for the first time.
Results : The sample consisted of 184 individuals with a mean age of 35.3 years (± 8,8). 77.2% of participants were men, 82.1% had Greek nationality and 79.3% were Greek. 79.9% of the participants were unemployed. Regarding educational level of the participants, 39.4% were high school graduates and 22.3% had quit school. 37.5% of participants took by themselves the decision to seek help in the therapeutic program. 62.0% of participants had heroin through nose while 50.0% of the participants had cocaine through injection. 92.3% of participants used heroin every day for the last month. The average age of onset of substance use was 22.6 years (± 7,2) and average duration of use 12.1 years (± 8,4). 45.4% of participants had injection within the last month, 18.1% of whom had shared needles with another or others.
Conclusion : Information, consultative approach as well as education of active users on issues related to the prevention of infectious diseases are key -elements of therapeutic programs.Download PDF